Lucas County is proud of its two story Romanesque style County Court House located on “The Square” in Chariton. The building was dedicated on May 22, 1894. It’s exterior is faced with sandstone. The beautiful colors of the balustrade along the interior stairways add elegance and warmth to this building that is included on the National Register of Historic Places and Buildings of Iowa that list buildings of special notice across the United States. The clock tower was purchased at the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair. Period lighting and benches enhance the relaxed atmosphere that surrounds the building and its monuments to founders, veterans and pioneers. One of the most popular visiting spots on the southwest corner of the Square, is the symbolic rock and memorial renderings of Lucas County’s portion of the historic Morman Pioneer Trail across Iowa. The grounds surrounding the Courthouse on it’s four sides is referred to as The City Square. It is the preferred location for dozens of special events, including parades, the summer concerts near the gazebo, and the farmer’s market.
County Offices AC 641
Clerk of Court…774-4421
Senior Citizens Center…774-2821